Swansea City boss Garry Monk admits that the club has discussed its January market plans. This could spell the end for Andre Ayew, with several clubs, including Liverpool, looking to sign the Ghana star after just six months at the Swans.
Ayew joined Swansea City from French Ligue 1 side Olympique de Marseille in the summer. Having run down his contract, he joined as a free transfer on a four year deal. However, his spell at the Welsh club is likely to be a short one.
Ayew Swansea stint coming to an end?
Speaking at the pre-match press conference ahead of Swansea’s clash with Liverpool, Monk revealed that Swansea would be busy once the January transfer window opens in just over a month.
The Swansea boss insisted that the club’s bad form would not prompt them to panic buy when the window opens. However, Ayew has been under pressure recently and has previously hinted that his future might lie elsewhere. This has led to speculation that he could be on his way out.
“We have spoken about January, of course,” Monk told the press.
“It is a continuous process – we speak every week about players and areas we want to strengthen.
“We are getting closer to the window, so we are looking at potential targets and we are starting to understand who is available and the finer details.
“We have been watching players for a long time and that is the best way to go about it and we all have an input.
“The approach is we plan long term, we talk about the squad and what we need. That’s been the approach of the club for a long time now.”
Swansea City travel to Anfield this Sunday to face Liverpool as they look to end a spell of poor form.
They will be hopeful of building on a 2-2 draw against Bournemouth last time out. However, they shipped four goals here last season and have won just one of their last nine fixtures. Their chances look slim.
Liverpool vs Swansea City: Match facts
- Liverpool have won five and lost none of the last seven meetings with Swansea City in all competitions.
- Swansea have won one of their last seven league away matches (W1 D2 L4) and one of the last nine overall (W1 D3 L5).
- Liverpool have won 11 and lost none of their 14 league meetings with the Swans at Anfield.
- Liverpool have scored an average of 3.3 goals per match against the Swans and netted more than four in nine of their 14 previous meetings.
- Jonjo Shelvey has found the net in three of the last four meetings between these two clubs.
- Daniel Sturridge has scored four times in as many BPL appearances for Liverpool against Swansea.
- Phillippe Coutinho has scored four goals in his last three Liverpool outings.